A master teacher demonstrates excellence inside and outside of the classroom through consistent leadership and focused collaboration to maximize student learning. A master teacher strives for distinguished teaching and continued professional growth as specified by The Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession:
- Teachers understand student learning and development, and respect the diversity of the students they teach.
- Teachers know and understand the content area for which they have instructional responsibility.
- Teachers understand and use varied assessments to inform instruction, evaluate and ensure student learning.
- Teachers plan and deliver effective instruction that advances the learning of each individual student.
- Teachers create learning environments that promote high levels of learning and achievement for all students.
- Teachers collaborate and communicate with students, parents, other educators, administrators and the community to support student learning.
- Teachers assume responsibility for professional growth, performance, and involvement as an individual and as a member of a learning community.